Thursday, July 28, 2011

24 Hours in Scotland!








It's been my first full day in Edinburgh!! I've learned so much already, and haven't seen a single play yet. The city is so incredible, it'll be amazing to see it busting with +250,000 people here to see the Fringe Festival! There are so many different festivals going on (music, book, jazz) that I think they are really organizing a Festival Festival. :)

1) My Journey: I made it safely across the Atlantic, and ate cute, but horrible tasting British Airways food! I was incredibly lucky, and TWO seats next to me were empty! I curled up and enjoyed a wonderful 5 hours of airplane sleep. Heathrow was fairly simple to navigate (although all drinking fountains seem to be absent in Europe, so I was sorely partched) and they served us chocolate cookies on the commuter flight to Edinburgh!



2) The apartment is GORGEOUS! Three flights, with windy staircases, a little dining room, cute kitchen, and high ceilinged living room. Here is our room! I met most of the neighbors as I was arriving -- none of the doors were marked, so in my sleep/food deprived state and quest to get into our flat, I knocked on all of them as I was arriving...).


3) An hour in, I went out exploring (other kids were "tired" from their flights). It was gorgeous sunshine, and a few minutes after wandering through Princes Street Gardens (gorgeous fields, in view of the Edinburgh Castle, with a clock made of flowers!), I heard my first bagpiper. Guess what he was playing? THE THEME FROM FELLOWSHIP OF THE RINGS. I even got a photo of the two of us (he's tiny in the background). Best welcome that Edinburgh could have given me. :)


4) Today we visited a street packed with shops called the Royal Mile (Hogsmeade) and visited Edinburgh Castle (Hogwarts)! Outside the Castle (Hogwarts) is a huge stadium (for Quidditch) where they perform the Military Tattoo. Edinburgh is the Harry Potter World for Reals, and I expect Hagrid to push his way through the crowd at any moment. We even visited the Elephant House, a cafe where JK Rowling wrote HP1. Definitely going back there to start my great novel!

5) They let you have library cards even if you're not Scottish!! I am going to get one to the Royal Scottish Library, where we visited today. The place is incredible, with fourteen million books, aging back from the 1600s. The floor you walk in is technically the 11th floor, with ten stories built beneath it to house the books. Library card = awesome souvenir (for free!)! :)



5) Found a few Scotsmen with rockhard abs! Andrew might have some competition. ;)




6) There is so much to do! Hike this huge crag where you can see all the city, go to a mound with great monuments, go to the castle, tons of free museums, and especially PLAYS! We might plan a Glasglow trip as well. :) I can't believe I'm back in Europe!


7) Miss you. :)

6 comments:

  1. Wow Molly - what a wonderful start to your second European adventure! So glad all the logistics worked out and your apartment sounds wonderful. Looking forward to following your blog! Love you! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you! Finally, your dreams of HP-for-REALS has come true. But please don't jump off any high buildings on a broom! And YES to the best selling novel you will be writing in all your free time sitting at JK's table in the coffee shop!

    Have you found my shortbread recipe yet? Ha ha, somehow don't think shortbread will be as much of a draw as Italy's gelato was.
    xx Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. haven't had any shortbread yet. :( LOTS of tasty scones and tea, and some "victoria sandwich cake." quite fun!!

    not many other study abroaders here! mostly people who have traveled around europe before a LOT though. very fun group!

    miss you -- will blog tomo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly, you lucky dog!! It sounds so wonderful and you've only been there 24 hours! I really can't believe the bagpiper was playing LOTR music - how perfect! Lots of love, Aunt Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi....aakash here...wanaa be friends...send me ur mail id... to boysinthepants@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest M.

    This is your auntie.. I am looking through papers that I stored favorite blogs addresses on.. or should that be on which I stored.. I enjoyed rereading this almost as much as I enjoyed reading when you first published. Lots love love..

    ReplyDelete