Saturday, July 30, 2011

Hiking, Royals, and Mashers - Oh my!












I've had a busy two days since my last post! Turns out the Fringe Festival doesn't begin until next Thursday, so I've lots of time on our hands to explore/eat/explore/nap/explore and repeat! We had our first class yesterday, and my frantic last minute skimming of Aristotle's The Poetics proved unneccessary -- our "Quiz" was discussion based (I think I'm going to like to coursework required). Wonderful, extensive ramblings by teacher and student will abound.








I also bought tickets to the Military Tattoo! I'll be the only one going up to see the 'pipes, so I will bring a blanket. :)





1) Hiking the Salisbury Crags! The sun broke through the rain, and roommate Kristina and I set out yesterday after class to adventure up the most Scottish looking crags I have ever seen. Seriously, of all the "I'm in Braveheart!" moments, this was the best. Besides an incredible view of the city and the wharf, we could see rolling hills and crags behind us, with even a ruin or two nestled amongst them. I felt like I should've brought my kilt. :)

2) We saw paparazzi! The crowded a sidewalk for Princess Anne's daughter's wedding reception - sorry dad/peggy, I didn't join them to grab a photo too!



3) My wee feet are getting tired with exploring! Every day I've taken long walks to discover the city -- Edinburgh is filled with winding cobblestone streets, imposing identical townhouses, and pubs pubs pubs. And if it's not a pub, it looks like it should be a pub! Even the convenience stores are housed in darling old timey storefronts.



4) Today we visited a Farmers Market on Castle Terrace -- Kristina and I bought a beef pasty for lunch tomorrow (day trip to Loch Lomond!), tasty berries, rye bread, and lamb stew meat all under the visage of Edinburgh Castle! Nearby was a graveyard with gravestones from all the way back in the 17th century. The tiny lifespans made me very happy to be in the 21st century!



5) Food thus far: It's no Italy, but it's all quite new! I've had the customary sausage and mash (at a place that served "Mum's Cooking" - it looks kind of like poo on a plate but tasted much better), as well as crumpets, haggis sausage, and TONS o' tea (my favorite!!). Kristina and I made lamb stew tonight, and I bought "the Home Book of Scottish Cookery" at a used bookshop today! Now I will know how to cook things like haddock and, hooray!!!


6) At the same used book shop I searched through old Scottish cookbooks and copied down 5 Shortbread recipes to try. I will report on how they work later, once I do the math to convert everything to grams! They use rice flour and cornmeal a lot I noticed -- what do you think mom (mum)? :)




7) I think my poor jet-lagged body is asking for a night in tonight. Lots of soup, reading, and sleep ahead of me. Hope all is well at home. :)


8) Miss you!

6 comments:

  1. Allison wants you to look for a Scottish boyfriend for her! Also, keep your eye out for Jane's Parlour by O. Douglas if you visit any more used bookstores (she's a Scottish author, real name Anna Buchan, and that's her only book that I don't have!). Love you, Aunt Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the new hiking boots are getting a workout! So great you are out and about, exploring, having tons of experiences….keep that pasty in the fridge!…sorry…mom moment….and right, have lots of fun!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fantastic scenery! I can't believe you didn't crash the royal wedding reception but probably best not to be on a Scotland Yard "watch" list so early in your stay. :) Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for at least "thinking" about crashing royal wedding party for a picture!! .. Poo on plate.. haggis.. mashie.. all sound delicious!! :)).. Your pictures are awesome.. Your roommate look so nice.. Your class sounds like fun fun! miss you, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so incredible Molly! I can't wait to hear more about it! The bagpiper playing Lord of the Rings???? Absolutely amazing!!!

    Love and miss you!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete