Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Great Blog Update of 2011



I've missed you! It has been a CRAZY few weeks here in Auld Reekie (and beyond!) and I have been sorting through hundreds of pictures for you! Grab a mug of Hot Toddy and cuddle up to read this excessively eventful blog post!

1) I have visited Glasgow for the International Bag Piping Championships! After a sleepy early morning train, we wandered about Old Town Glasgow (as we had failed to look up directions) until we caught the faint sound of bagpipes in the distance. We followed the sound until it became a droning thunder -- we had arrived at the Championships!

Beyond bagpipes and drum lines, we also enjoyed Highland Dancing (bouncy ballet), drum major competitions (flinging batons around while wearing a kilt), Highland Games (big men in kilts! big men in kilts lifting logs, throwing rocks, and literally flipping timber!), and Scottish lamb "stovie" (lamb and potato stew). We visited The People Palace Museum of Glasgow, and learned of the town's ties with military history and economic downturns. After the bagpiper winners were announced and many kilted men were seen sobbing for joy, we took a late train "home" to Edinburgh. :)

2) I have visited the Edinburgh Castle! Friend Victoria and I took many many photos of each other from the gorgeous views on the castle walls, and combed through the extensive military museums housed inside. My two favorites: An exhibit about the modern day bag pipe band of the Scottish "cavalry", who achieved the number one album in Britain that they recorded while in Iraq; Doors from 1700s POW prisons, where imprisoned American Revolutionaries had left carvings of early American flags on the doors!

After a good five hours in Castle Edinburgh, I bought a pot of tea and wrote in my journal until they kicked me out. A beautiful end to a beautiful day.

3) I have seen much theater! The next few days was a run of incredible shows, from an avante garde Polish influenced piece, to a mind-blowing show about America and its capitalistic drive. In another show, we all sat in a tent on couch cushions on the floor and tossed props to the actors! My creative theater genes are being well expressed here - I have even shed a tear or two. :,)

4) I have eaten much food! Back to the Elephant House to enjoy coffee where Jo wrote Harry; my first full Scottish breakfast (haggis is yummy yet mysterious); and most importantly Kristina and I made apple-sage-lamb PIE! Jealous?!

5) I have hiked Arthur's Seat! This is the tallest point of the Salisbury Crags I hiked earlier this month! Friends Mark, Kristina and I prepared for our hike with pastries from Pie Maker then headed out. We stopped at the ruins of a 15th century chapel, which Mark climbed (I merely posed with it). The hike was short and steep, with an extensive panoramic view of Edinburgh, the sea, surrounding suburbs and farm lands. We were fortunate enough to see the naturalistic beauty of rain clouds drifting across the city and water. Then we were unfortunate enough to be caught in it on our way down. A wonderfully wet and satisfying day, followed by a strong cup of cocoa.

6) I have walked along the Eastern Coasts of Scotland! It was the number one highlight of my trip so far. Friends Veronica, Shelbyrae, and I somewhat spontaneously took a train out of Edinburgh Friday afternoon, to travel to a coastal walking trail we'd found in a hiking book. We rode the train to Berwick-Upon-Tweed (which was actually across the border into England - who would've guessed?), took the bus to Eyemouth, then (after stocking up with award winning Mackay's Strawberry ice cream!) walked along the coast, through farm lands, pebble beaches, and fishing villages. We enjoyed the quintessential Scottish views -- from water-pounded cliffs, to thistle brambles, to farmers bringing their dogs for a walk. I felt so incredibly lucky to be there.

We ended up in the charming minute town of St Abb's. After much confusion and consultation with a newly-retired English teacher, we realized we were actually 2 miles short of our goal of St Abb's Head (strange Scottish naming system...)! The kind English teacher actually gave us a ride to the location (don't worry mom, I was ready to leap out of the car at the slightest sense of danger!), then back to Eyemouth. Veronica, Shelbyrae, and I enjoyed Indian curry for dinner, then caught a bus back to Berwick-Upon-Tweed, and finally a train home to Edinburgh. I'll never forget the experience.

7) I have visited Loch Ness! Early Saturday morning we hopped aboard another Haggis Tour Bus. During our trip through the scenic Highlands, our Tour Guide Greg chatted in an un-intelligible Scottish accent through the microphone, much to the confusion of ourselves and the Japanese students. The crowded conditions of the bus was made completely worth it thanks to the vast greenery, hills, valleys, and moors we saw on our two day journey through the High Lands.

That night we stayed in a Bed & Breakfast on the shores of Loch Ness! I stayed in "The Oaklands," where Mrs. Oakland greeted us with a menu choice for the next morning's eatings (I resisted to checking "yes" to all 21 possible items) and with a key to our darling bedrooms! Friend Bobbin and I stayed in a double room, complete with its own bathroom, coffee maker, DVD player, soft bathrobes, wall stitchings, owl figurines, and cushy comforters!

We all met up to walk around the tiny tourist town, and somewhat randomly happened upon "Crofts Rare Breeds Farm" (which was completely devoid of humans but brimming with pygmy goats and Highland Cows!). We followed our Scottish animal investigation with dinner at a lovely pub in town (I opted for the traditional "macaroni and cheese" -- mmm). The other girls at my B&B finished the night with all of us in our bathrobes, complimentary cocoa in hand, with Harry Potter 4 on the DVD player.

The next morning after an ASTOUNDINGLY filling breakfast, we all were whisked away on the bus to Ben Nevis (the tallest and most cloud covered mountain in Scotland), the valley of Glencoe (where they filmed scenes for HP4!!), and the oldest working whiskey distillery in Scotland. During the distillery tour, I definitely discovered that I do NOT like whiskey, but enjoy whiskey flavored chocolate!

We finished the day with a long stop at the William Wallace (star of Braveheart) monument, and two hours in traffic back to Edinburgh. Not a single Nessie sighting, but plenty of incredible experience to make up for it. :)

8) This week I've kept busy with shows, class (yes, we do indeed have class!), and plenty of Edinburgh museums! Tomorrow is at last the Military Tattoo (where should I get it, Aunt Peggy??) and a Thursday filled of 4 plays. The 4th show is a six hour theatrical experience that begins at midnight, and finishes with breakfast around six AM. Hooray! Then come the last days of class, another day trip planned this Saturday, the final weekend, and then off to York/Ireland. Here's hoping for another blog post before then!

9) Miss you!!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Molly! Sounds like terrific fun, scenery, food and drama! Bagpipes sound like a trip - one is enough for me! You are sure soaking in all you can in Scotland! Miss you! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Adventurest Molly, Wow!!! You are my hero.. you put so much into each day.. and so creatively write about it.. I truly feel like I right there with you.. It is so much fun to read.. You are awesome.. love you..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really awesome stuff, Molly. Glad you're having this wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly I really love that last picture of you - you're just casually walking on Scotland (or walking on Europe as Wesley would say!). What a lot of fantastic stuff you are packing into this trip of yours! I can't wait to hear about the rest of your time over there. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems you have enjoyed your irish kilt rental type of travel. I am so willing to go there as well and see those places you have visited. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete