Saturday, August 6, 2011

The plays have begun!


So far I have seen tooth pulled out, viewed a teensy bit of nudity, enjoyed Shakespearean & Chaucer improv, taken a lesson from a mass-murdering pianist in the Museum of Anatomy, and been lead out of a deathtrap rocket by a Russian man in his underwear. No, I have not suddenly started taking drugs -- this is Fringe theater!!

1) While I haven't had an incredible "MIND-BLOWING THEATER" moment yet, I've greatly appreciated the alternative forms of performance. My favorite was the killer pianist piece, where we were led into different sets at the University of Edinburgh Medical school. At one point we were in cots as the frightened conservetoire children while the pianist walked about us with surgical tools, and the final scene was in the Museum of Anatomy with giant dinosaur bones overhead.

2) The haunted tour was quite fun -- nothing too spooky, but Greyfriar's Graveyard was very picturesque in the midnight mist. Our tour wandered around catacombs that housed all of Edinburgh's poor and squalor for centuries, as our tourguide told ghost stories.

3) In between shows, I stopped by the Museum of Writers -- mainly glorifying Sir Walter Scott, Robert Burns, and (my favorite) Robert Louis Stevenson. It was nestled in a 17th century townhouse, and my favorite part was the nook upstairs for writers to curl up and do their craft. I sat and tried my hand at some poetry -- my, am I rusty!

4) Food update -- chips (french fries) and curry sauce, black pepper sausage, pudding-cup style chocolate trifle, and TONS of tea! It's not quite Italian gelato and buffalo mozzarella, but that might not keep me from packing on a few Scottish pounds. :)

5) Highlight of Saturday was an Ireland versus Scotland rugby game! Scotland won, with a score in the last four minutes of the game. The game started with fireworks and bagpipes, before descending into the organized chaos of rugby. For those of you who don't know, rugby is football for real men -- no padding, no clock stopping, and constant endurance! (I was happy to watch from the sidelines.) Post-game we missed the bus stop and ended up walking all the way home in the pouring rain. :)

6) Saturday night was topped off by a "view points" workshop taught by our TA, which was an extremely fun acting exercise of running around, impulse, dancing, and yoga-esque movement. I loved it! It's crazy to me that I have this experience as a part of my education -- I keep wondering about how I can incorporate it into biology!!

7) Sleepy day here -- rainy, with another view points workshop tonight. I may coffee shop and write for a bit. :) More plays, maybe some hiking, and the Edinburgh castle on the books for the week! I still can't believe I'm here!

8) Miss you.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm....so you get to be participants in fringe theater?! As long as they don't really start cutting you open to be oh-so "realistic!" :) And I am sure you closed your eyes at the nudity as you have been taught when watching R-rated movies with your parents?! :) Miss you but wow - what a terrific time you are having! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly you lucky girl! It all sounds so incredible! Any more LOTR playing bagpipers? :) I hope you continue to have a wonderful time!

    Love and miss you!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Molly! Keep it up! Its almost like being there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly, Molly, Molly.. I am still so excited you are there.. Your blog puts me right in the midst of all of it with you.. That haunted ghost thing.. I think I had a psycho vision and saw you.. oh wait.. no.. that was your picture on my cell phone in the "aging booth" ap, from April, that I just discovered!!! Made my day!! miss you.. love you. oh.. and fat booth picture also sooo darling (amazing how much that make you look like me!)

    ReplyDelete